We have spent a lot of time talking about the Yorke Peninsula Business Network, but we have not really identified what a business network is. Or why, as business owners, it is essential that we are part of a business network.
A business network is a type social network is developed to help businesspeople connect with other entrepreneurs to further each other’s business interests. Business networking is a more cost effective way of generating new business, because it is a low cost activity that involves more personal commitment than company money.
With a formal business network, members should meet at least monthly to share information, exchange business leads and make business referrals to fellow members. To complement this business activity, members often meet on their own time, and build their own business relationship with fellow members, outside of the formal networking event.
Many businesses use networking as a key factor in their marketing plan. It helps to develop a strong feeling of trust between those involved and play a big part in raising the profile of a business. Businesses often seek suppliers from those within their network. A formal business network develops a supportive environment for all businesses involved.
The basis of a business networking organisation is to share business experience, share business and support and develop each other so that all member businesses can grow. Working together builds stronger and better relationships. There is plenty of business, plenty of opportunities, plenty of ideas and plenty of experience. It is really important in any community to ensure that these ideas and experience are shared so that they can be capitalised upon.
Not having a local chamber of commerce of other formal business development /business networking organisation close at hand, the YP Business Network was formed to develop confidence and strengthen linkages between businesses on the Peninsula through education, training, networking and mentoring.
Our objective is to support and enhance the local economy by capitalising on existing local resources. We hope to share the experience and ideas between members and local businesses and grow our businesses together.
The Yorke Peninsula Business Network (YPBN) aims to:
- Connect people with local experts to seek advice and build networks
- Connect people at a mutually convenient time to allow them to work ‘on’ their business
- Connect people with like minded interests in a social environment
- Develop a deeper skill base on the Peninsula
- Generate knowledge of existing local businesses
- Promote the use of local businesses
- Build a depth of resources to provide assistance to YP based businesses
We should ensure that as businesses, employers, entrepreneurs and consumers, we spend money locally. Spending money in the community not only contributes to the local economy and provides more employment opportunities, but it also shows that you support and believe in the local economy. We need to ensure that we support our local economy so that it stays vibrant, and functioning.
The YPBN will provide this local support via:
- relevant learning opportunities for local businesses via local and national presenters,
- networking and relationship building opportunities
- support and mentoring to new and existing business owners/managers in a friendly, yet professional environment
- knowledge of local businesses who can assist with business issues
- business promotion opportunities
Are you part of your local business networking organisation? Should this be something that you focus on?
Book now to attend our regular monthly networking event where we discuss the YPBN.